American Airlines is launching 2 new flights to Fairbanks Alaska this summer and has a targeted offer for double redeemable miles on the new routes:
- The flights from Dallas-Fort Worth to Fairbanks will be daily starting May 7, 2020, and go through Oct. 6, 2020
- The flights from Chicago to Fairbanks will be daily starting May 7, 2020, and go through Oct. 6, 2020
|Elite Level||miles for every U.S. dollar|
|AAdvantage® member||5 base + 5 bonus = 10|
|Gold member||5 base + 5 bonus + 2 elite = 12|
|Platinum member||5 base + 5 bonus + 3 elite = 13|
|Platinum Pro member||5 base + 5 bonus + 4 elite = 14|
|Executive Platinum member||5 base + 5 bonus + 6 elite = 16|
For example, if you book a roundtrip $1,000 ticket from Chicago to Fairbanks you’ll earn 5,000 bonus miles from this promotion. If you value AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents per mile this bonus would be worth $85.
Check to see if you’ve been targeted
If targeted you should have received an e-mail from American, but you can also check by logging into your account and viewing the AA Promotions Page.
The fine print
- You must register by 11:59 p.m. CT on March 10, 2020, and before purchase and travel in order for your flights to count toward this promotion
- Eligible flights must be flown by October 6, 2020 – The seasonal flights end on October 6th so this makes sense
- Offer does not include connecting flights taken before or after a direct segment flight to and/or from FAI – For example if you travel from LGA-ORD-FAI, you’ll only get double miles on the ORD-FAI segment
- Bonus miles can only be earned for up to two flights
- Mileage earned will be calculated at 100% of base award miles earned for eligible flight activity. Double miles will not apply to any elite mileage bonus – only base award miles
- Bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification or AAdvantage® Million Miler status
Why go to Fairbanks Alaska?
Most giraffes haven’t thought about visiting Fairbanks, Alaska, but there’s really a lot to do there. Here are my top 10 ideas:
- Watch for the northern lights
- Visit the Arctic Circle
- Go on a boat trip through the fjords of Prince William Sound or Columbia Glacier to see wildlife such as seals, sea otters, sea lions, whales, and porpoise
- Go white water rafting at Denali National Park
- Visit the Chena Hot Springs Resort and soak in their thermal baths
- Go to the Georgeson Botanical Garden and view beautiful far-north plants
- Dog Mushing
- Pan for gold
- Eat some reindeer sausage or grilled Alaskan salmon
- Visit craft breweries
First Class Giraffe Not Impressed
This isn’t the most lucrative promotion, but if you’re planning on flying to/from Fairbanks, Alaska this summer you should definitely register before booking your flights. After doing some research on the destination for this article I’m adding Fairbanks to my travel list.