Read more from this trip – Spring Break in the Maldives and Tokyo:
- Introduction: Spring Break in the Maldives and Tokyo
- British Airways Galleries Lounge, Washington Dulles
- Qatar Airways Qsuite Business Class, Washington Dulles to Doha (IAD-DOH)
- Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge
- Qatar Airways Qsuite Business Class, Doha to Malé (DOH-MLE)
- Conrad Maldives
- Cathay Pacific Airways Business Class Malé to Hong Kong (MLE-HKG)
- Cathay Pacific Airways Regional Business Class Hong Kong to Tokyo (HKG-NRT)
- Conrad Tokyo
- Sushi Shin, Tokyo Food Review
- Tokyo’s most exclusive dining experience – Yakumo Saryo, Tokyo Food Review
- Japan Airlines First Class Lounge – Tokyo Narita (NRT)
- Japan Airlines First Class, Tokyo Narita to New York (NRT-JFK)
- Restaurant Name: Sushi Shin 鮨 真
- Date and Time of Visit: March 22, 2019, 8:30pm
- Where: Tokyo Japan
- Menu: Sushi Omakase
- Price: 22,000 JPY per person
- Reservation Difficulty: It’s relatively difficult to get a reservation here especially during cherry blossom season. I had the concierge at the Conrad Tokyo secure a reservation for me about a month in advance.
Sushi Shin is Master Chef Shintaro Shin Suzuki’s one star Michelin Sushi-ya in Tokyo.
Sushi Shin is located near Roppongi, which is about a 10-minute cab ride from the Conrad Tokyo.
You walk up to an unassuming entryway with a sliding wooden door.
Sushi Shin has just 8 seats at the sushi bar, which is typical of many sushi shops in Japan.
Pro tip: There are 2 separate seating areas situated away from the sushi bar that can accommodate 2 and 6 people respectively, but I recommend sitting at the sushi bar.
The restaurant has English speaking staff that made the process less intimidating than other restaurants I’ve been to in Japan. Chef Suzuki would describe each dish in Japanese and then one of his staff would approach to instruct if the dish was intended to be eaten with your hands or chopsticks and whether to dip the fish in soy sauce.
Chef Suzuki expressed some initial concern when he saw a giraffe in his restaurant, but became comfortable after I reassured him that I didn’t have any dietary restrictions.
The food was really the star of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the chef meticulously prepare each dish. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed of the chef at work.
First Class Giraffe Approved
Sushi Shin has delicious fish with amazing presentation. Truly first class.